FC Cincinnati passes Atlanta United 2-1

(Photo credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports)

Luciano Acosta recorded one goal and one assist and helped FC Cincinnati to a 2-1 victory over host country Atlanta United on Saturday evening.

Luca Orellano also scored a goal for FC Cincinnati (4-2-3, 15 points), which stopped a three-game winless stretch (0-2-1).

Thiago Almada scored a goal for Atlanta United (3-3-2, 11 points), which had broken a three-match unbeaten streak (1-0-2).

Cincinnati’s Alec Kann made three saves in his second straight start in place of senior goalie Roman Celentano (ankle).

Atlanta’s Brad Guzan made two saves.

Cincinnati had an 18-16 edge in shots with both teams putting four on goal.

Edwin Mosquera’s pass set up Almada’s second goal of the season in the 59th minute.

Almada was behind the play when he received the ball and unleashed a powerful right-footed shot from outside the penalty area that sailed into the right corner.

Cincinnati responded with two goals in three minutes, the first of which came in the 62nd minute with a point deep in its own net. Acosta eventually received the ball and made an accurate pass to Orellano, who sent a left-footed shot into the net for his first tally of the season to tie the score.

In the 64th minute, DeAndre Yedlin shot the ball toward the net and it sailed over an Atlanta defender to where Acosta was standing. He easily kicked the ball past Guzan for his third goal of the season.

During the seven minutes of stoppage time in the second half, Atlanta repeatedly had possession of the ball, but shots from Brooks Lennon and Caleb Wiley were easily saved by Kann.

In the final minute, an Atlanta United corner was left empty when Tyler Wolff’s shot was blocked by Cincinnati defender Alvas Powell.

Earlier, Guzan had no chance to get to Corey Baird’s header in the 55th minute, but the ball bounced, hit the goal post and caramelized away.

Cincinnati had a 12-6 advantage in shots in the first half.

Cincinnati’s best chance of the first half came in the 28th minute when Orellano’s left shot hit the left goal post.

–Field-level media